The Group

Talanx underwent particularly strong growth over the past decade and achieved Group net income amounting to EUR 45.5 billion for the year 2021. Talanx operates extremely successfully as a multi-brand provider in highly promising sectors of the insurance and financial services industry. The Group is led by Talanx AG which has been granted a reinsurance license at the beginning of 2019. The Company is now no longer a pure holding company but instead also conducts business activities and acts as an intragroup reinsurer for primary insurance. The largest shareholder of Talanx AG with a stake of roughly 79 percent is HDI V.a.G., a mutual insurance company. The remaining ca. 21 percent of shares are in the free float.

talanx-konzern-flaggen

The Group companies operate under a number of different brands. These include HDI, delivering insurance solutions to retail customers and industrial clients, Hannover Re, one of the world's leading reinsurers, the bancassurance specialists neue leben insurers, PB insurers and TARGO insurers as well as Ampega, a funds provider and asset manager. The Talanx Group conducts business in its Industrial Lines, Retail Germany, Retail International and Reinsurance Divisions and in the area of financial services. The Hannover-based Group is active in more than 175 countries.

EUR million
2021
20201
Adjusted in accordance with IAS 8
2019
Gross written premiums
45,507
41,109
39,494
Net premiums earned
37,863
34,190
33,054
Combined ratio in property/casualty primary insurance and property/casualty reinsurance 2
Including net interest income on funds withheld and contract deposits.
97.7%
101.0%
98.3%
Net investment income
4,718
4,240
4,323
Operating profit (EBIT)
2,454
1,645
2,430
Net income (after financing costs and taxes)
1,730
1,170
1,671
Group net income (after non-controlling interests)
1,011
648
923
Return on equity 3
(Annualised) net income for the reporting period excluding non-controlling interests relative to average equity excluding non-controlling interests.
9,6 %
6,3 %
9,8 %
  1. 1) Adjusted in accordance with IAS 8
  2. 2) Including net interest income on funds withheld and contract deposits.
  3. 3) (Annualised) net income for the reporting period excluding non-controlling interests relative to average equity excluding non-controlling interests.
Board of Management

The Board of Management is currently composed of seven members. Since 2018 Torsten Leue has served as Chairman of the Board of Management.

Supervisory Board

The Supervisory Board has been chaired by Herbert K. Haas since 2018. In total, the Supervisory Board is composed of 16 members.

Transformation Podcast

Have you listened to our episodes of Talanx Transformation Podcast yet? (German only)

Our purpose

Together we take care of the unexpected and foster entrepreneurship